Hubbard Glacier: This was THE highlight of the trip. We were told to get up early so we didn’t miss the sail in. Given my previous mention of the boat-rocking sleep inducing rhythm that has become my reality over these past few days, I was no good until my alarm went off. Stacy confirmed that fog was limiting visibility and we couldn’t see much, it was easy to drift off again.
Made it to my 8am stretch class which made me feel good about actually getting some planned activities done this day. By the time class was over, I looked out the fitness center window and got my first glimpse of the Hubbard Glacier and it took my breath away. As one of only 2 glaciers that are still growing, it was a sight to behold.
Hubbard Glacier is about 400 years old and is the largest tidewater glacier in North America stretching over 75 miles from land to sea. Huge chunks of ice break off the glacier into the water (called calving). Some icebergs as tall as a 10-story building which make a sound like white thunder. If it melted completely, the ice would fill millions of Olympic-sized swimming pools.
The deep blue color is due to centuries of compacted snow. This becomes dense glacier ice which absorbs most colors of sunlight but reflects blue. The glaciers are alive: there are ice worms and algae that grows on the ice rocks. These parasites generates vibration and heat which contributes to glacier calving.
Stacy went to get some up close pictures from the helipad while I waited for the ship to make a few 360 degree turns so I could enjoy the view from our balcony while eating my breakfast. I can’t think of a better setting for my loaded avocado toast meal. This picture says it all.
We left Hubbard glacier earlier than originally scheduled but we ran by some more glaciers on our way out.
In between my mid-day siestas, I was able to do some arts and crafts while Stacy proved once again that eating is also an activity:
Comments
Post a Comment